- Your Government
- BOARDS & COMMITTEES
- Charter Review Committee
Charter Review Committee
The mission of the Charter Review Committee is to examine the existing Town of Essex Charter and propose any revisions. For instance, residents and Selectboard members have brought up the possibility of including a recall provision and more about water and sewer rates. The Charter Review Committee is expected to review other municipal charters to consider other possible ideas for revisions.
The Selectboard would like to have any possible revisions brought to voters at Town Meeting in March 2023; proposed changes will need to be finalized by December 2022 in order to meet public hearing requirements. To meet the deadline and provide information at public hearings, the Charter Review Committee is expected to meet regularly through January 2023.
Committee members were appointed on August 1, 2022 with a term to expire upon completion of the committee work.
Lauren Layman, Chair
Charles Tabone, Secretary/Clerk
Dawn Hill-Fleury, Ex Officio
Staff representative: Cheryl Brown, Deputy Clerk
ph. (802) 879-0413
Proposed Charter Amendments
Proposed Articles as approved by Selectboard on January 30, 2023
- Article VII - Proposed Charter Amendments - Reorganization
- Article VIII - Proposed Charter Amendments - Fees
- Article IX - Proposed Charter Amendments - Just Cause Eviction
- Article X - Proposed Charter Amendments - Recall Provision
- Article XI - Proposed Charter Amendments - Transition from ZBA to Development Review Board
- Questions and Answers Information Packet - Town Meeting (pdf)
- November 22 – Charter Review Committee work session
- December 5 – proposed amendments will be presented to the Town Selectboard
- December 19 – Selectboard meeting – public to be heard
- January 3 – Selectboard meeting – public to be heard
- January 7 – last day to file official copy of proposed charter amendments with the Town Clerk
- January 17 – Selectboard to hold first public hearing on charter amendments
- January 30 – Selectboard to hold the second public hearing on charter amendments
- February 15 – last day to make changes to charter proposal (by Selectboard)
- March 6 - Town Meeting Day - Discussion
- March 7 – Town Meeting Day – Australian Ballot Vote
- Charter Amendments Memo and Attachments presented to Selectboard 2023-01-03
- Charter Amendments Memo and Attachments presented to Selectboard 2022-12-19
- Final 24 VSA 117 Town of Essex Charter 2022-11-22 (pdf)
- Final 24 VSA 117 Town of Essex Charter 2022-11-19 R1 (pdf)
- Revised Charter Outline clean version 20221115 (pdf)
- Reorganized Charter Outline (pdf)
- Recall Proposal (pdf)
- Just Cause Proposal (pdf)
- Fees Authority Proposal (pdf)
- Development Review Board Proposal (pdf)
- Committee CHANGES Reorganized Draft 24 VSA 117 Town of Essex Charter 20221112 (pdf)
- Charter Review Section-by-Section 20221102 (pdf)
- Revised Charter Outline 20221102 (pdf)
- Agreed Upon Revisions 20221018 (pdf)
- Discussion Items 20221018 (pdf)
- Town of Essex Charter 2022-10-04 DRAFT WORK (pdf)
- Town of Essex Charter (pdf)
To view draft or final versions of minutes from previous meetings, please visit the AGENDA CENTER to select the meeting.
Join a meeting! Look for Essex Charter Review Committee meetings:
Mon, Apr 3Read On...
Wed, Apr 5Read On...
Thu, Apr 6Read On...
Thu, Apr 6Read On...
Tue, Apr 11Read On...
Thu, Apr 13Read On...