Water & Sewer Bills

Beginning in 2021, Town of Essex Water and Sewer bills are issued three times per year in March, July, and November due in April, August, and December on the due date stated on the bill.  Payments may be mailed or paid at the Town Office. The bills were sent to property owners a short time ago. Water customers who did not receive a bill should call 802-878-1359.

Payments may also be placed in the drop box (no cash please) next to the main door of the Town Clerk’s Office until midnight of the due date. Postmarks are accepted as evidence of timely payment.  Payments received after the due date will be charged an 8% penalty.

Pay Your Bill Online

Pay your utilities online with a debit or credit card (there is an added convenience fee).

Pay Your Bill Automatically

Want to pay your utilities automatically? Use our pre-authorized payment form (PDF).

Meter Access

Please do not block off access to water meters. Meters must be accessible at all times.

Related Documents

Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program

Vermont Housing Finance Agency (VHFA) is now accepting applications from Vermont homeowners who are behind on their housing expenses due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Funded through the Federal American Rescue Plan Act, the Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program provides grants for eligible Vermont homeowners for missed payments on their utilities (water/sewer, electricity, home heating), property taxes, among others. The program is restricted to expenses related to a homeowner's primary home (other eligibility criteria apply). If applicants are approved, payments will be made directly to service providers. To learn more and apply, visit vermonthap.vhfa.org or call (833) 221-4208.  Need help with your application? Visit https://www.vhfa.org/news/HAP/affiliates for a list of community-based organizations that can assist you.

If this property is your primary residence, you may be able to get help with delinquent property tax and utility payments through the Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program (VHAP). VHAP can help you avoid tax sale and transfer of your property by paying delinquent property taxes, water and sewer charges, interest, and penalties. You can apply for VHAP online at vermonthap.vhfa.org. For advice about the program and help completing the application, call Vermont Legal Aid at 1- 800-889-2047. If you apply for VHAP, you must notify your town in writing, and your property will not be sold or transferred while your application is pending.

HAP 600x300


The Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program through the Vermont State Housing Authority was created to help renters dealing with financial challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic.  For eligible households, the program offers rental and utility assistance to help Vermonters avoid eviction or loss of utility service.  

Please continue to https://erap.vsha.org/ to learn more about the program.